If it seems that new homes these days have included garages better suited
for a Tonka truck. It’s not your imagination. With land at a
premium, home builders can maximize the living space square footage by
skimping on the garage size. As a result, many homeowners are lucky to fit
one car in their two-car garage. But there are ways to make the most of the
space you have by employing a few simple tips.
Maximize the Space in a Small Garage
· Use the wall space by adding brackets, hooks, or shelves.
· Add overhead storage racks. One nice change from the older garages is
· Organize sports equipment like balls, bats, workout equipment, and other
items that take up space because they are dropped in random locations.
· Buy a tool tower and keep those yard tools with long handles from falling
or cluttering the garage.
· Line the walls with pegboards. It’s an inexpensive way to keep small
· Keep it clean. Half the battle with all garages is the ever-expanding stuff.
Create a routine to do a deep clean/tidy on a regular basis.
· If room permits, add an outdoor shed or other storage structure to a side
yard to store bulky items, such as holiday decorations.
A small garage does not mean that you must park your cars on the street.
Keep the space clean and tidy with these tips and make the most of the
available room while keeping things easy to find when you need them.